At two years old your child might be:
- copying things that you do – like sweeping the floor
- dressing up or pretending
- beginning to use two- to three-word sentences
- having tantrums to express frustration or strong emotions
Here are some ideas to help you support your child’s development at two years old:
- Think about things your child could make. Get messy and use different colours, textures and shapes, talking about them as you go.
- Play together and move in lots of different ways – run, jump, balance and dance.
- Share lots of books and stories with your child, even make up your own stories together. Be a bit silly!
- Encourage your child to have a go at doing things themselves and to talk about it with you.
- Talk to your child about what you see on the pages of books, and encourage your child to turn the pages of the book.
- Talk to your child about everyday things like a bus stop sign and what it’s for.